Why Construction Companies Want More than Just File Sharing
Murphy’s Law ("Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”) hangs over every jobsite like a dark cloud. When you’re dealing with massive construction projects being overseen by scores of project managers and swarms of subcontractors—all of whom are dealing with highly intricate details and a deluge of documents—the opportunities for snafus to rear their ugly little heads are in no short supply.
Of course, technology is the driving force behind a successful endeavor. Teams depend on it for construction collaboration and file sharing to ensure speed, accuracy, and security. However, if your content platform technology is designed for consumer use as opposed to one that is built for business, there may be a few cracks in your efficiency foundation.
Let’s take a look at the differences between the two options:
The Painful Truth About Consumer-Based File Sharing
Quite pervasive in the construction industry, consumer-based file sharing solutions have made strides in improving their offerings. However, while there have been feature upgrades and security add-ons, they are still the culprit behind an abundance of issues. The following may ring all-too-painfully true.
- Inconsistent jobsite connectivity. Access to the latest design files is near impossible when Wi-Fi is spotty—and your file-sharing app freezes up every time a user clicks save.
- Collaboration bottlenecks. Project teams are unable to securely collaborate on files between the jobsite and trailer. While specialized workflow apps can add significant value, they can also create data silos that gum up the works.
- Inefficient file sharing. Contractors are not always getting access to the content they need due to multiple unapproved file sharing solutions being used.
Bottom line, consumer file-sharing tools are causing bottom lines to take a hit.
Built-For-Business: Fast Relief for Slow File Sharing
At the heart of built-for-business content platforms is reliability, flexibility, and full visibility. They’re designed to provide you with all the necessary functions to enable projects to be completed on time and on budget. Here’s an example of what you can expect:
- Improve operational efficiency. Share up-to-the-minute images, documents, costs, schedules and even BIM data via electronic project rooms, no matter the data size or remoteness of the location.
- Overcome inconsistent connectivity. Sync all files in the background, allowing everyone to use the latest information without having to hunt for it or wait for slow Wi-Fi.
- Keep data safe and compliant. Ensure sensitive information is never breached by setting specific privacy controls, granting access to those who need it and restricting everyone else by default.
The benefits of a built-for-business content platform are limitless. To learn more about the benefits, check out our free e-Book, “A Digital Foundation for Architecture, Engineering and Construction Collaboration.”
Get started with Egnyte today
Explore the best secure platform for business-critical content across clouds, apps, and devices.
LATEST PRODUCT ARTICLES
Don’t miss an update
Subscribe today to our newsletter to get all the updates right in your inbox.