Enhancing Egnyte for AWS Solution
Working with AWS
Trends in computing shift back and forth like the ebb and flow of a tide. Before personal computers became household appliances, centralized computing from a client-server approach was the norm. However, widespread distribution of desktop machines lead to a change in office productivity; decentralization. People began saving their files on the same, inexpensive devices they worked from, while simultaneously using these machines to run an array of applications. With cloud computing in the fold, computing is slowly returning to the centralized configuration of the original mainframe model.
Cloud computing, like Amazon Web Services (AWS), provides a variety of tools to help organizations become more flexible, secure, and scalable. Businesses can easily move applications, projects, and storage from end users to the cloud, allowing IT to quickly deploy new servers or user environments as needed. Centralized access to content also enables IT to cut costs by shifting spend on data center hardware and on-premise equipment to the cloud, quickly adding and reducing resources in AWS.
AWS has far-reaching benefits across a variety of industries:
- Organizations in biotech/biopharma use AWS to run big-data simulations that can be hundreds of GBs in size. These tests can be completed quickly, producing results in a fraction of the time it took using traditional servers.
- Financial services institutions also benefit from a centralized approach. Intellectual property, as well as highly sensitive data and its analysis, can be accessed using remote cloud applications. The data can then be saved in AWS to maintain secure storage practices.
- Law firms and healthcare organizations that are obligated to comply with specific industry data regulations use AWS as part of a secure backup strategy.
Egnyte and Amazon Web Services
Although Egnyte and AWS are both cloud service providers, each offers a unique set of complementary solutions. While AWS supports the computing and user environment needs of an organization, Egnyte’s platform offers content management and collaboration tools that allow the right teams to access and consume data together.
As stated above, organizations in biotech perform big-data simulations in AWS that produce huge reports. They can then transfer their test results into the Egnyte Cloud from AWS S3. From there, they can use Egnyte to design customized workflows that integrate with 3rd party applications so that select partners, vendors, and customers have specified access to the content they need.
So how does AWS data get moved into an Egnyte environment?
Introducing the hybrid components of the Egnyte for AWS Solution
The Egnyte for AWS solution is an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) that is provisioned in AWS EC2. It provides access to a network share and syncs the share data to and from the Egnyte Cloud.
Egnyte offers some specific benefits:
- It allows data hosted in AWS to be accessed by independent Amazon Workspaces.
- It makes content that resides in the AWS ecosystem easily accessible by moving it to the Egnyte Cloud. This way, Egnyte users can access and share from anywhere.
- It keeps data updated in both AWS S3 and Egnyte as changes are made.
Learn more about the Egnyte for AWS solution.
Get started with Egnyte today
Explore our unified solution for file sharing, collaboration and data governance.
LATEST PRODUCT ARTICLES
Don’t miss an update
Subscribe today to our newsletter to get all the updates right in your inbox.